12-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks for the trip report. Yes I wondered about the lack of a cruise control light as well, seems a odd omission. Also agree about the over estimated ETA of the nav system. I find that as you get closer to your destination if gradually revises your ETA to a more accurate figure.

I get about 1 extra hour added on to my 1.5 hour trip from Launceston to home when I first set out on my journey, by the time I am about 0.5 hours from home, the system has more or less corrected itself.

As a contrast, my portable Garmin GPS gives deadly accurate ETA times. I know my Garmin assumes you are going to be driving at the speed limit when calculating the ETA (it knows what the speed limits are on the route), and adjusts the ETA based on your actual driving speed when underway. As a result you get a accurate ETA even before you start your journey.

Pro Nav must use your driving speed only to work it out, I don't think the route speed limit comes into the picture. It probably takes a while to work out your average speed and apply this to the ETA calculation.

That's what I think anyway....

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0