Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
I can imagine placing a 10mm spacer between the chassis' strut tower mounting point and the top of the camber plate would simply result in raising the vehicle - but by how much?
This effectively increases the strut length by 10 mm. The strut has a motion ratio relative to the wheel because of its angle relative to vertical. I figure it is about 0.95. Therefore a 10 mm spacer on top of the strut top mount will raise the car about 10/.95 = 10.5 mm.

Something I omitted in my original approach was recognition that the OE top mount compresses under load. I have posted elsewhere that under static load it compresses about 5 mm. So if you are measuring things on the bench hoping to figure out your new ride height, you need to take that into account.
A 10mm spacer above the camber plate is something that I considered quite some time ago but never got around to implementing, more so due to trying to determine the most appropriate front wheel offset for a 255/35/18 tyre with my suspension setup - a bit of a "chicken and egg" scenario. The relativeness to motion ratio was just for my curiosity because, in the grand scheme of things, 0.5mm either way isn't going to make too much difference, although, I do like to be exact, so at least it's good to confirm my thinking.

Just for reference, I have Vorshlag camber plates that have been set to its maximum camber of -3° - I've been hesitant to slot the towers for an additional -0.5° to -1.0° of camber.
Appreciate 0