Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
RE-71Rs are a quiet tire. Remarkably so. To calibrate that statement against my sense of loud, ZIIs are loud when new and very loud when used. Nitto NT01s are very loud always.

I just finished one track day and they seem to have gotten perhaps a bit louder, but they still sound very civilized. Noise from road imperfections is not at all objectionable. Bridgestone has done an amazing job with the road manners of this tire. Who knows how they will age, but I think you will see these tires as an improvement over the ZIIs. One odd thing though, my commute to the track includes some grooved highway sections. In some of these sections the tires developed a strange rumble that had me stopping to check out if one was loosing pressure. That section of highway seems to be special though - I have experienced some winter tires (different vehicle) develop a directional uneasiness in the same area.

Dry grip is very good. Even at full tread depth they feel like an R-compound tires. This was a working day at the track for me and I was running street brake pads so I had limited opportunity to test them out and no opportunity to experiment with tire pressures. I used 36 psi cold. This is on 235/40R18 all around. Steering response is really direct and confidence inspiring. This was by no means a 10/10ths day though so I can't say how they will stand up to extended lapping in high temperatures.
Awesome. Thoughts on the 20mm rear bar?
Appreciate 0