Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
I am very happy with the change. The car corners flatter, takes a set quicker, and handles transitions better. More important, I have definitely not gone too far aft in terms of roll stiffness distribution because the car is easy to drive with nannies off (my normal mode). With them on, intervention seems much more subtle (although I didn't fully explore this). My hypothesis is that the improved balance and perhaps by reducing the nasty transients due to excessive body roll may result in the DSC seeing less need to intervene. I will try a faster few laps with DSC on today to see if this is in fact the case.

The car seems to handle curbing a bit better than last year, but this is probably in part due to the fact that I am now making proper use of the front bump stops. One wheel bumps are not at all problematic, but this is not too surprising because the front total roll stiffness is still higher than the rear.

Before heading onto the track I made a few laps of a skid pad to make sure I wasn't going to be surprised. Limit cornering attitude is very controllable with throttle. The car is very easy to drive, which is what I found with last year's setup too. Clearly the car still understeers at the limit, or it wouldn't be easy to drive, but that characteristic is so mild as to be unobtrusive.

I will log some more laps today with the AIM Solo DL. I have some competition data from last year at the same track (on NT01s) so should be able to get a good comparison, although I am hobbled by OEM brake pads today. I will be able to see how much eDiff activity there is when pushing a bit harder by checking the data logs.
Have fun! Looking forward to the data.
Appreciate 0