05-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #176
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Have fun! Looking forward to the data.
Unfortunately this is a bit of apples-to-oranges comparison as the track layouts differ a bit between runs. Here is a GPS trace of my fastest race lap (blue) from last year on this track, and my fastest practice lap (red) from today on the same track, less the carousel on the returning straight. Up to that deviation (turn 10) the data can be compared.

Name:  GPS Overlay.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  45.8 KB

The data is displayed using the segments depicted below with the start line being at the top of the map and the track run clockwise.

Name:  Red Segments.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  34.8 KB

Speed traces are comparable, with a bit better launch through the start line in the competition. The competition was run with the Cobb tune removed. Today was run at Stage 1 - Drive, which really doesn't make much difference. I run it primarily for the linear throttle. The blue run includes a downshift to 2nd in turn 4, but is run in 3rd in the red run.

Name:  Speed.jpg
Views: 2271
Size:  224.0 KB

The competition run (blue) was run with DTC 60/70 pads, which explains the higher in maximum braking g. Maximum lateral g are comparable between the NT01 R-compounds and the RE-71R Extreme Performance street tires.

Name:  g-g.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  194.7 KB

Data logging is with an AIM Solo DL, collecting chassis data through the CAN Bus. I log a math channel I call E Diff Activity, which is the difference between left and right rear brake pressures. Any difference is due to intervention of the E Diff. Not unexpectedly the stiff rear bar does increase E Diff activity in slow corners. Rear brake pressures due to E Diff are in the order of 15 bar.

Name:  E-diff.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  182.9 KB

A point of interest, given that the deceleration rates are comparable between the two laps: with OE pads, maximum brake pressures are typically about 20 bar higher than for the DTC pads under normal braking. This being because the track pads have more bite.

Last edited by fe1rx; 05-04-2015 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Today's tune was Stage 1 - Drive, not Stage 1 - Sport
Appreciate 0