View Single Post
      06-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #71
parafrog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BlkSaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
though I have a little different take on the situation.
I am assuming that your description has you merging from the right onto a two lane highway where she is in the left lane. The way this movie runs in my mind is that you merge right next to her, she never sees you. You are now at roughly the same speed, but running just behind her right rear quarterpanel. You 'punch it' in order to pass her on the right. She is blissfully unaware of your presence and starts to make an unannounced lane change. You slam on the brakes, give her the horn, then glare at her at the next intersection. Not getting any acknowledgement whatsoever, you launch the gatorade bottle. She wisely keeps her window rolled up and takes off.

In the first case, it sounds as though you merged right next to her. That's legal, but if there's a yield sign, I always prefer to wait until both lanes are clear. Often that's just a matter of seconds.

In the second instance, you mentioned that you accelerated out of her blind spot. By definition this means that you were in her blind spot, and while I too would be upset at her for not signaling, it is plausible that she never saw you. Decelerating, then looping around and flashing your beams in preparation for passing on the LEFT side would have been safer, given appropriate traffic conditions.

No doubt she should have been more aware of her surroundings, but honestly, I think that if you take your contribution to the situation into account, that may help you let go of your anger. Your beautiful car is intact, and you don't even have to worry about disposing of your gatorade bottle at home. Clearly she did owe you a 'sorry' wave, as in the Seinfeld episode.

BTW - If you merged from the left, then I'm with you right except for the bottle throwing. If you're in the UK, well, then I've got left-right confusion and need to take a tylenol.
EXACTLY!!!!

dude, WTF are you thinking?!?!?! she was scared. she probably knew she did the wrong thing and was just trying to correct and continue on. i understand your frustration (believe me, i've been there) but throwing a plastic bottle. c'mon. not everyone is a good driver. they give everyone a license to drive. be defensive when you drive (this is exactly what you did) and you'll be fine for the most part. but throwing shit?!?!?! you are asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0