View Single Post
      06-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #68
Garris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 330I, Topaz Blue

Interesting so far...

Here are my $0.02...

- OVERALL: Looks very nice. Much better than I expected overall and, if priced right and well engineered, it could be legendary.

- BMW really becomes the first luxuy maker to enter the premium subcompact market in the US diving straight in with a model specifically designed for it rather than just dipping their toes in the water by bringing over some stripper already for sale elsewhere (A3, all previous BMW/MB efforts). It'll be interesting to see how it's received (my guess is very well).

- Weakest view: From the front, clearly... Are some aftermarket edgings for the light assembly made that reduce the "bug eyed" exophthalmos look (similar to the spy tape BMW was using on the prototypes)?

- Strongest views: Clearly the front and rear 3/4 views, which are fantastic.

- Styling overall: A wonderful synthesis of current and previous BMW ideas. 1 series front, more E46 greenhouse, and hints of both the new 3 coupe and previous 3 coupe in the rear lighting and stance. The flanks and dash have clear familial relationships to the Z4. The center console, like all 1's, also tilts towards the driver like the prevous BMW's of old.

- Retractable i-drive screen is far better implementation than the "hump" of the current 3-7 series...

- Are the current photos of the 135i with the M-aero kit?

PERSONALLY: I was looking at waiting a bit for a certified pre-owned 335i coupe, but now I'm not sure. Same engine, lighter and more tossable piece, and with some preferred elements (retractable i-drive, dash tilted towards driver, etc) that, frankly, make far more sense for the stop-and-go, around town driving that I do in a dense, European-eque Northeastern city... Can't wait to drive one!
Appreciate 0