View Single Post
      07-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #42
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

I think Mr OP is right, the lack of pure consideration time that the 1M had through from conception to establishment I think has created a car which in hindsight, may not have been one which, given due consideration (cost, wide audience appeal, political correctness, etc) would have been produced.

Manual only limits it severely to a certain customer, the size also as does the cost. When I took one for a drive, which I didn't really intend to do after visiting BMW ready to put a deposit down on an M3, the first thing I thought........ well the second thing after ... Fwooar.......... that was actually the first, was good on BMW, or any other manufacturer with that thought, for making a car like this. I thought those days were gone.

Let's not get into an M3 vs 1M war as seems typical, they are (in my opinion and experience) rather different cars. This will of course result in them appealing to rather different customers (even though I was going to buy an M3), but my point here is that there is no need arguing over m3, 1M as I see it like arguing over 911 Turbo vs GT3 RS. Different focus, different appeal.

It's of no surprise to see the 1M compared to the stripper Cayman regularly as it offers this similar style of experience, raw, hard edged, pure, focussed.

The M3 is often compared to the RS4, C63 etc, as it fits into that market better, super fast, comfortable touring coupe/sedan.

And that's exactly how I experienced the two cars. So there should be no argument between the two cars, different horses.

Back to the point, I think the 1M is brilliant for it's imposed time constraints which I think allowed it to get through without being sensiblised... yeah I made up a word so.? ..

Last edited by Goombeh; 07-08-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0