Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Dan Parker experienced no heat issues and I think the guy is quite qualified.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=540565&page=2

I, like most, are taking the OPs comments with a grain of salt. Over and over again we have heard M3 drivers trash the 1M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
1M: Underwhelmed, really skittish (short wheel base, hot tires maybe?) It was hot, turbos were hot, got oil temps just above 270F, but something very familiar quickly came up. The torque diminished as the heat increased just like my old 335i. I'm sure the car is a monster in cooler temps, but for me the car won't due in summer months where 90F+ is the norm. The pull was like my old '07 335i Dinan Stage II, but handling was much better with a real LSD. I was lucky enough to drive the M3 then the 1m then back to the M3. The M3 motor is a true gem and its a real shame that the next M3 with be forced induction. There that just one man's opinion.
What in the above statement is bashing the 1M or hating on it??? The skittishness has been mentioned before by journalistic reviews. He compared the engine in the 1M (N54) to the engine in his old Dinan Stage II tuned 335i (N54), which is a fair comparison. The OP never said the 1M overheated...he said that after a few laps it was down on torque. As the OP tracks often and does longer sessions than your typical HPDE it may be a concern for him in the long run. Dan did mention that, "the oil temps reached 270-280 the car would be back to 250 after about 1/2 lap of casual cool down lap driving". So heat soak didn't become an issue for him. I don't understand why people are so defensive about anybody saying something not entirely positive about the 1M's N54 engine. An upgraded IC might make this a moot point anyway......

Last edited by adrean8j; 06-10-2011 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0