06-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #110
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Don't shy away from sharing your experience. I think it was valid and honest opinion. I am annoyed people complaining that some 1 series fans take it personally.
No good deed goes unpunished

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
Honest question, and please don't flame me for this, but... would any of the following factors affect track performance on hot days (to any significant degree):
- Exterior color (white vs. black!) -- I could imagine a couple degree difference..
- Running the A/C on high -- how close in proximity is the A/C unit to other engine vitals?

Maybe not huge factors, but was wondering if there was a conventional wisdom regarding either, for performance driving in hot climates.
A/C will put extra demand on the motor that you don't need, not sure about color.

Get a coolshirt, that's what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Dan Parker experienced no heat issues and I think the guy is quite qualified.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=540565&page=2

I, like most, are taking the OPs comments with a grain of salt. Over and over again we have heard M3 drivers trash the 1M.
Just one man's opinion and not intended to trash the car. It's a good car, but you should be careful of drinking too much kool-aid. You may never push your car the way I push my cars, that's fine the 1M may be the perfect car for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I already pointed this out, mainly to the guy who was suggesting that they should equip the 1M with an oil cooler, without knowing it actually has 2 of them. Like you said, take it with a grain of salt - I'm personally taking it with a tablespoon of it. This is simply an opinion which is not reflective of what most reviews of the car have disclosed.
Please see above. Enjoy your rides.

You know, maybe BMW is reading this and something good could come out of it. "Better cooling" maybe? I'm sure you both remember the dreaded 29.2 software load that neutered the N54 motor, well I complained about it and a few folks at BMW and here at the forums claim it was "all in my head". A year later BMW admits doing it and claims to have corrected the issue. Sometimes a magazine article in a controlled environment provides skewed results. Use your brain and make your own decision based on your own experience. I have.

Before the new M3 comes out, I hope BMW thinks long and hard about cooling when they drop a turbo'd motor in there, otherwise for those of us in hot environments, BMW will no longer be an option.