Thread: C63 vs. 135
View Single Post
      08-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #53
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

I feel compelled to post. Especially considering I swapped cars over the weekend because I wanted to drive a 135i for a bit.

Firstly in regards to the OP.

If you drove a 2011 then it is highly likely that it was a prefaclift model with the old interior (pop up screen) and old 7sp auto gearbox. Some like the pop up screen but on the whole there is no denying that the updated interior has better 'touch and feel' quality to it as it is essentially a scaled down E class interior now.

Power

OP do you know if the car you drove was a P31 (performance kit) car or a standard car? It doesn't really matter too much because you get the same kind of idea about the engine performance in either form. The C63 power delivery is very linear and predictable. Almost to the point of being a bit boring. Upon my first drive I was a bit disappointed with it because you don't get that push back in your seat at 2000rpm like you do in a 135i. Obviously this comes down to the nature of turbo vs NA engines. Do not however let the 'boringness' deceive you, the car shifts its lardy rear end along very quickly.

I'm lucky enough to have been able to drive someone's 135i for quite a while now. I have loved every minute of it and all the torque and power it makes. Even before catless DPs/FMIC etc... I loved driving a tune only N54. It has a certain "oh sh*t" factor that I feel is lacking in the C63. Now with this 135i making something like 270kw it feels like such a beasty engine in such a small car.

Handling/Steering

This is my one gripe about the C63 (apart from fuel economy obviously). The steering feels far too fake and remote from the front wheels. The facelift C63s actually have slightly revised suspension and steering (for better fuel economy) compared to the pre-facelift models. Reviews say that it is closer to an M3 in handling than ever before but personally I much prefer going around bends in my 320i simply because the steering 'feels' nicer. Haven't driven an M3 so I can't compare directly but I prefer my non-M (but Msport) 320i for handling.

That being said, as you mention, city driving is a breeze and it is very predictable.

Transmission

It is highly likely that the car you drove was fitted with the old 7speed conventional auto. I've driven a pre-FL C63 with the auto and it was ok but the new 7sp MCT transmission is a definite improvement. Comfort mode is super easy for day to day driving while S+/M really gets the petrol flowing through your bloodstream

Interior

As previously mentioned if it was a pre-FL car then the interior is outdated and is indeed a little bland. The front seats do 'look' good, but I'm not sure it is the best design as my elbows sometimes hit against the side bolsters. Also they are a pain to get in and out of without squashing the bolsters.

Sound

I love the sound turbo cars make, induction/spool/blow off etc.. but nothing can beat the exhaust sound of an NA car... especially an AMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
one gripe I guess is that NA cars with their linear power delivery are just a tad bit less exciting than turbo...
Pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
When I got back into my car it felt like a go kart in comparison (coilovers, LSD, tyres etc).
One I drove over the weekend was same coilovers/lsd but worn tyres lol. Feels 'chuckable' into corners, but I didn't because 1) worn tyres and 2) its not my car.

Now as for Edwin..

Once this guy has all his excuses sorted and is running race fuel and meth and nitrous and his flux capacitor is fixed etc.. etc.. blah blah he will probably have a faster car.

Honestly though, down the 1/4mile Edwins 135i definitely has it. There is no denying that. To date I've only done 6 or 7 runs down WSID and I haven't figured out the best way to get the car off the line. All 60' times are 2s or slower, whereas a mate in a pre-FL C63 has got like 1.8 60' time and a slip I saw of Paul (335i) was also like 1.86 or something. Best run is a 12.31@117 and highest trap is a 118.6mph.

However if we do some rolling starts then it will be a hell of a lot closer.

Just be wary of the tuned C63. Comparing stock to modded atm, but compare modded to modded and have fun keeping up. The 9s are close

Appreciate 0