07-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Quite a few comments about 135's breaking down. You guys whine about 135 owners making fun of 128's all the time yet do the same exact thing. Thats OK though. We understand your motivation.

BMW is a smart company and covers all the niches in the car buying world. There is a big market for young guys with not alot of money who fantasize about being helmeted racers, those who dont care for high performance cars, dads buying their daughters their graduation cars, those who buy commuter cars, the older who still want somethin a little 'sporty' and BMW themselves for their own loaner fleet. The car serves this purpose just fine.

By the way, there arent alot of performance parts available for the 128 because......its really not a performance car! BMW themselves designed it as such by simply using a soft magnesium/aluminum block.

The 135 has beefed up, forged internals to handle much more power than stock. BMW designed it that way. With nothing more than an inexpensive 20 min flash you can turn up the wick on the turbo cars over 100hp.
128 drivers work like hell to squeeze 10hp into their engines. Love the way they also add up the total hp gains by using manufacturers 'claims'. Rarely see a before/ after dyno to show actual gains.

The 135 might have an additional item or two that the 128 doesnt have but that goes with the territory. You pay to play. Yes, I would rather have a 12 cyl Ferrari as opposed to an 8 cyl one even though there are more parts that might possibly fail. To use this excuse to try a belittle a car is flat out reaching for straws.
There are many 135's making well over 400rwhp 450 ft lbs! Many of these cars do it relativley trouble free. Its rare to even find a dyno of a 128. Wonder why?
The 128 is a nice car but its just not a barn burner and cant be turned into one.
First, lets start here. A timely thread in which 135i owners discuss how they often like the stock tune more:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717865

You're familiar with it, you posted in it not understanding one bit. After, HP=Performance right? Mashing your foot to the floor is the most important metric of driver skill.

Please. A high performance vehicle is the sum of all parts. Transplant a Viper engine into a Kia and guess what, you still have a hunk of crap. I dropped 170hp when I bought my 128i, and guess what, I don't miss it one bit.

Or we could just put it another way, you don't have a M car. Nothing about your car is special or high performance. You have an engine that is found on many of the cheap spec BMW models. Color me impressed. Where you see a soft block, we see the lightest I6 ever made. Hell your engine alone is 75lbs heavier, not counting the rest of your turbo parts/cooling/sunroof.

I get it, you don't understand driver's cars(likely because your skill doesn't extend much beyond your right foot). You don't understand that the majority of driver's cars strike a balance. In todays world(see E36 M3, E46 M3, Cayman, Boxster, etc) they are around 3000lbs and have somewhere between 200-300hp. They are naturally aspirated by in large. It's a harmony, not 450 wft/lbs of meth induced unreliable torque.

No one in this thread is adding up manufacturer numbers. I was the one discussing power mods for us, and never once did I mention a power figure. Another member made a relatively accurate guess, which I agreed with based on the aforementioned 325i to 330i conversion.

Also, 128i chat thread. Last I checked, you didn't really meet the requirements.