USNEM_128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Given the same tires and options, the 128i will out corner and out brake the 135i every time. That's completely missing the point, though. The benefit of less weight is better handling, driving dynamics, and enjoyment-- none of which can be measured in slalom times, skidpad grip, or stopping distance. E.G. a Nissan GTR will out perform a Lotus Elise in every metric... but the handing, responsiveness, and driver involvement get totally blown out of the water by the Elise. Clearly a much larger scale, but the same idea as the 128i vs 135i.

Car and Driver did a pretty good job of laying out what actually constitutes handling:

Beyond that, I find even the engine in the 128i to be a more involving experience than the 135i. All of the great drivers cars share a similar theme with their engines-- not much low end torque, high revving, no lag. Examples: GT3, S2000, M3s, lotuses, ferraris. Pretty much if you can name a car that's known to be a good "driver's car", it will have a high revving engine with not much low end torque. Why? Because having to work over the engine to get the most out of it is a huge part of what makes a car engaging to drive. Low end torque and lag don't create the same experience.

To your "point" on the M cars:
The 128i stats are damn near spot on an e36 M3. The 128 is slightly lighter (30 lbs), revs slightly higher (200 rpm), and has 1 extra gear while the M3 has slightly more horsepower (10). In a drag race, they're identical for all intents and purposes. The e36 M3, btw, was rated as the best handling car at any price in 1997 by car and driver, btw-- better than ferraris, NSXs, etc.

No carbon buildup, HPFP failure, turbo failure, etc is just the icing on the cake.

Well said!
Appreciate 0