View Single Post
      08-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Stupidest system if so

Why doesnt it just read the voltage/amperage outpu and charge accordingly? That's what all the battery systems i install/work with do - though i do remember now entering in how many AH the batteries have..

But i mean.. Heck, i can go put in a battery in just about any 10-20 year old car and expect it to last for it's normal lifetime. Why does bmw have to be a pain in the assl in this aspect as such a high end

I'm going to spend $400-$500 on a battery and have to spend $100 more to get it 'working'? Ugh

Ed: and why would the car charge the battery more *automatically* if it's older? At least in part that it could well be over-charging a perfectly fine battery and causing it damage.

Ed: scrap that, just remembered installing batteries and rectifiers in office 2 mths ago.. We're talking $700 odd per battery and they'll last 10 years with no special care other than automated 'oh it's below 12v float? Well lets just fix that by charging it!' .. That's all that any charging system does that i've ever dealt with - sees that it's a 12v battery below 12v and puts it back up to 12v.. If it's 12+v, just chill out a bit.. I've found heaps of google results saying why to register and code but my training specifically on dc power systems says 'huh???' lol :/

Ed: i keep forgetting that we are talking about a company that happens to suggest oil intervals of 30000+ and 'lifetime' tranny fluid

I can believe bmw would implement this and i'm better off getting it done, i just can't work out WHY
Appreciate 0