06-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #57
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
No one would, but if you said drone adds HP, or you can opt for the quieter exhaust with less HP output because its more restrictive... now how many would opt for drone?

Every car I have owned started some sort of drone when the exhaust was opened up. Did I like it? Usually no, would I go back?? Emphatically no, not after the gains I received, plus I think my MPG increased. Oh ya add to that the drone exhaust sounds better at all the other RPMs and gears when its not droning.

Adding power has side effects.
I agree. If BMW said "we can eliminate the drone but you will lose power and / or the exhaust note", I would say leave it as it is. Do you have a 1M? If yes then you are qualified to comment on the particular drone this car produces as you would have experienced it. If not then you are only making a general comment about exhaust sounds not pertinent to the 1M's drone.

You seem to assume that you can only have a performance exhaust with a drone or a non performance exhaust without a drone. There are performance exhausts that produce more power and more sound without a drone. Why can't BMW do this? As I said, if there is a technical reason why they had to compromise with the exhaust then so can I.

But I doubt it.
Appreciate 0