Thread: Wheel bolt
View Single Post
      12-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

It's been pissing me off for years with tire shops using Pneumatic Torque Wrenches that over tighten wheel nuts.

I have no idea how most people would be able to undo wheel nuts with the tools supplied in a vehicle after have tires fitted by most tire shops.

The first thing I do is when I get the vehicle home is to undo the wheel nuts and re tighten them to my specifications.

In 45 years over 40+ cars, I've never had a wheel nut come loose. They do not have to be tightened until they are almost ready to sheer off.

The vehicle manufacturer provides in most cases a wheel nut removal implement that should be able to do the job. If that takes more that Superman strength to get that tool to remove the nuts, they were too bloody tight.

I just had new tires fitted to my 4WD and had to undo the nuts with a special socket wrench I made up that has a 1 meter long arm for Bobcat wheel removal.