View Single Post
      08-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #86
Schtuffy
Rep
Drives: '07 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorVert View Post
I've been lurking here on this board for about two months, and only recently started posting, but if there's one observation I would make so far, it's that an awful lot of people who chose the DCT sure seem awfully defensive about their choice.

CERTAINLY not all, mind you, but it seems to be a common trait among many, and I guess I'm just curious as to why.

I personally could not fathom the thought of buying a BMW with fewer than three pedals, but I don't think it makes you a bad person if you disagree.

Why all the fuss?
Well, people that frequent message boards are usually enthusiasts, and the general consensus among enthusiasts is that stick = skill, joy, happiness, unicorns, and lollipops.

With DCT genuinely being faster, some people who want every last ounce of performance feel the need to prove they're not less skilled, and don't deserve less lollipops because of their choice. This is true, and I can't fault them. If I was hyper-competitive I'd want every edge available to me as well.

Then there are the people who previously held an inferiority complex over not being able to drive stick, gloating that they have the faster option now and manual is obsolete. These people get to me because secretly I think they might be right.

P.S. I was joking about thumbing my nose at auto drivers. I teach anyone that feels like learning manual at the cost of my own clutch and tranny. I have a friend from Denver coming over and he's dying to learn stick, but I fear for my STI's life as last time he visited my bimmer's window regulators and camshaft sensor all spontaneously combusted.
Appreciate 0