View Single Post
      10-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

iDrive Cup Holder

Thanks to good DIYs by AndyM (console removal) and jayparry (iDrive cupholder installation), I now have 2 good cupholders plus one marginal one. I have a Fisher on order from Ultimatecupholder for the rear which will be enough I think. Removal of the console took about an hour and a half and reinstallation about the same. I used a harbor freight vibrating saw (always on sale around $30, sometime less) to cut the opening. It is a little scary but the top piece hides any irregulatrity in your cut (as jayparry indicates). I think my cut was actually less huge and possibly cleaner than his but you can't tell once the pieces are in. I think this will be my favorite. I used a similar one in a M6 at M school and really like it. I ordered the parts from Tischer - same ones as jayparry - and cost was about $77 including $20 s&h (but with 20% off the list price of the parts). Pricey but it seems everything from BMW is. Also well made.

Went to fill up the vert. The cup holder is a little close on 5th gear upshifts. Not really in the way but I touch it if I do not have my hand closed down around the shift knob. No big deal, a drink in the other decent cup holder is a little in the way of shifting sometimes too. Either can also easily be avoided.
Attached Images

Last edited by JimD; 10-30-2010 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0