10-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #25
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepertech View Post
Update. 2 days after I connected ISTA+ to it there has been no more of the noise. It fucking stopped. All previous symptoms have been absent for about a month. I dealt with it for 3+ months prior. I was worried that it was a fluid level and the tranny was scavenging for fluid. I dropped the underbody pan today and pulled the tranny fill plug. IT WAS FULL! I'm at a WTF and FML point now. Noise has stopped, tranny is full of DCT fluid. I put the car on 4 point stands, checked level then pulled the allen plug and a good bit of the "lifetime" fluid ran out! I need to send back 2L of Pentosin DCT fluid back to ECS. I have no fucking idea what is/was wrong with it. No more noises, it's never acted bad. Just was really noisy and I still don't like it. I'm going to have the dealer change all DCT fluids and filters as a precautionary when I can get it to the city. The good news is is that it does not seem to be a catastrophic causing failure. I still drive the shit out of it and it always hooks up with no slippage. It's an awesome transmission. I did diagnose what I though was tranny pan leakage to a bad motor oil change. The motor pan was caked with overspill. It's all cleaned up now and will report back in a month or 2 with another trans fluid check.

Through the ISTA+ software you can run the tranny through the gear actuators with the clutch pack disengaged manually which I did. Maybe this cleared something up???? Hell if I know.

I'd like to add that the tranny has 93k on it and the fluid that came out looked good but had a dark tint to it. It looked like synth motor oil after 1k miles. Too dark for my tastes but what I would expect with a wet clutch with half the miles. This tranny seems to have an awesome filtering system. I've never done the transmissions any favors and am willing to beat the piss out of it to find a breaking point. It looks to be holding up though. It never slips, and always grabs under max torque. It did not smell or taste for that matter burnt or of abuse. I am familiar with wet clutches in bikes and this looks very clean. Getreg made a good one and I'm quite impressed.

I hate to end a thread this way but I DON'T FUCKING KNOW guys!
You opened the filler with the engine off? Oil will definitely come out. That is why you have to do the initial check with the engine idling, and top off once the fluid is 40*c. The pump needs to be spinning and circulating the oil to achieve the correct fill level.

Re-adapting the transmission/clutch can fix a lot of issues!
Appreciate 0