View Single Post
      08-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

LOTS of new cars do not have a temp gauge. The blue light to indicate cold (we do not have this, but a nissan I drive did, and it is a nice idea) and the red light to indicate hot may be just as good as a damped gauge.... but a real temp gauge is a nice thing to have.

Oil temperature is more important for knowing when it is OK to go full boost/full power. It is a lagging indicator of water temp, but more important in regular ops then water!

Scangauge is nice, but if there is an easter egg to see it, all the better! The only issue with not having a real one right there is that it may take a bit longer to recognize that something is not right... Having an easter egg readout that you have to access is not reliable, though if I knew I was going through severe conditions, Imight put it on to show consistently.

The 135 is no modified M3... it is designed to sit in traffic in the heat with the AC on for the most part. Keep the PM up and it should be OK to you. Though fundamentally you are correct - you may not know until it is too late. Hopefully the logic sets up to put the warning on at a sufficiently low temperature... I wonder if it could be programmed to come on at a lower temp in some of these "tunes"?
Appreciate 0