Thread: Rear fog DIY
View Single Post
      11-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Ok, so I finally got around to doing this mod. (Rear fogs get people riled up and really bother some people but there are areas I drive through on the commute that are very foggy so I wanted an extra measure of obnoxiousness I mean safety.)

I wanted to add a few things to AndyM's tutorial for switch removal, which mfmoses referenced at the beginning of this thread.

Step 2 (removing the vent cover) was a total pain. I always find that DIY instructions always list "remove dongle" as a step but don't describe specifically how to do it. Anyway, prying, pulling, cursing, no success. In the end, I referred to steps 1-3 of a boost gauge install pdf at Burger Motorsports.

http://burgertuning.com/instructions...ge_install.pdf

You're basically going to pry off the driver's side dash panel. After doing that I was able to get enough access to leverage that vent cover partially off. I didn't need to remove it completely. Be careful because it's kind of flimsy. This allows access to the T-20 screws which allows the light switch panel to drop down. I did not have to remove the vent itself, unlike in the pdf above.

Once you have the switch assembly removed from the car, you hop over to the link miula referenced. The rear fogs are controlled by the bottom button. The assembly is easy to take apart, but I'd strongly recommend removing the botttom button completely to get better access to the plastic tabs that prevent the button from working. Removing the button took a bit of screwing around -- I used a small screwdriver to unlock / flip up two plastic tabs on the inside of the button which is white-colored. (This took multiple attempts.) Once the button is removed, it's easy to chop off the plastic tabs. THERE ARE FOUR TABS in total.

After that's done, reassemble everything. Make sure that when you replace the switch assembly into the panel, that you hear a distinct click from each of the four clips. It had a tendency to look seated but push out very easily until I was conscientious about seating each of the four clips.

The button works completely smoothly. I'd prefer a euro-spec one with a lighted LED indicator on the button, but that's not really a cost-effective solution at $150. Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0