Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
2 things to note here....I've almost always skipped the very last session of a weekend b/c of that kind of issue. You feel like you're finally in a rhythm and moving well, but generally you don't really realize how dang tired and exhausted you are (mostly mentally) which will lead to mistakes. To me i've always noticed that the most off track incidents happen towards the last few sessions. Guys feel like they have to set their best since track starts opening up and they won't be back tomorrow.

As far as a rally school there are 2 things to think about here. First, a skid pad provides tons of car control practice and it's much cheaper than a rally school. Second, your car control may be fine in a controlled environment when you're expecting that rear end to come around. Its another thing to catch it when you're not expecting it. I think thats the biggest reason why you went into the wall. The rear end surprised you and locked you into not reacting.

I'm not sure a rally school is going to help with that second issue. The only real way to get passed it is to experience it again and work through it. Maybe do more iracing and try to practice it there?? Not an easy thing to find a way to practice.
You're absolutely correct, it was a surprise and that's probably what did it. But my reasoning behind a rally school, skidpad, is to get the muscle reflex in. Once that settles, it's much easier (pure speculation) to react even when unexpected. I have some thinking to do, and some things to figure out, but hopefully is for a much better outcome next time.