02-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Spacers and tire width question

Never liked how the wheels are a bit indented into the wheel well and don't cover it up fully. Have a set of 10mm on my Audi, and used 30mm on my M5 as I was running the rear wheels up front (275s all around). Would love to put on some thin spacers (say H&R) to have the tires align with the fender wall.

What's the optimal setup for this car on stock rims - 10/20mm? I fear anything more may introduce vibrations, tramlining, undue stress on suspension components, rotational weight, rooster-tailing during wet driving, and diminishing returns as far as handling (I'll likely need longer lug bolts too).

Speaking of rims, what is the widest combo people have run on the stock rims (is 235 front/265 rear possible with a slightly smaller profile)? And aftermarket rims? The latest EC magazine has a tuner running 255s on front and 265s on back on aftermarket (18" I believe) rims. I feel the Bangle era BMWs just cry for wider tires given the bulges, creases, and flame surface designs...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0