09-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #16
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
takahashi, whilst I definitely 100% believe a race track is A LOT safer, the lack of insurance coverage is probably scarring some people off. If the unfortunate happens on a cruise, you have insurance to protect you. On a race track......nothing.
This is the EXACT thing I don't want you to say. You have lost my respect once you say that. I am sorry, you prob have not think through that enough when you write this. And I certainly hope you do not think that way. I hope you just mean that OTHER people think that way.

However, it is a true fact about insurance, but I enter that particularly debate in the last few years about the exact same point. I don't believe I have to tell you all about this here because I think all BMW drivers are mature enough to work it out yourself.

No hummel this is not well said AT ALL. I am sorry. I will tell you what I think. Then you think it through carefully before you guys reply to me.

Now

If you think it is safer on the track then on the road, why the hell do you drive fast on the road at all? Is that because insurance will back you up, then you think you can behave in such the way on the public road, while there is a much safer and absolutely legal alternatives to do the exact same thing. That is my whole point.

That is why advance and performance driving courses exist. To serve the public and get the hoon off the street (sorry I have to use the "h" word, but how true is that). Racetrack is where you can explore the speed. NOT ON THE PUBLIC ROAD.

People who owns a single sport car in garage and love to drive fast (over the speed limit and limit of the car). My advice is either:

1) don't drive fast at all and enjoy the look of the car or 2) come to somewhere that is safe to do so and 3) yes, don't drive fast at all in your company car. It is technically not yours.

I am sorry I am emotional about this. But I really want to get this message across.

I put up my hand to organise these thing because I feel like this is the proper way to do so. There is a lot of people taking up on this method to cure their itch. If you think you don't want to crash on that particular track day, keep the traction control on and drive 8/10 of your ability. Then you are safe on the track. Most track day are well run and you are extremely unlikely to come in contact with other cars. I have my fair share of crashes in my road car myself. I know what it feels like.