View Single Post
      10-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Taz
Rep
Drives: SLK32

- Navi w/ iDrive ($2100)
- Premium Sound System ($1200)
- iPod/USB Adapter ($400)

I was considering these 3 options but it is almost 4 grand which doesn’t strike me as even a remotely good value. For what the car costs it should come with a darn good stereo and to charge $400 for the iPod/USB adapter is a total ripoff! Take that $4,000 and go shopping with aftermarket audio systems with nav built in and you can buy some pretty sweet stuff.

When you factor in what they must be charging for the original stereo I just can’t fathom BMW pricing. The stock factory stereo in my Acura TL sounds far better than the premium in the 3 series and the nav integration is in a far higher league than the 3 series is or as the 1er is likely to be.

At this point I am likely to forego these options and see what is available aftermarket especially since the iDrive is such a joke to work with. Did BMW actually use real people doing their development of this poorly executed idea or did they operate in an ergonomic vacuum? Some of their pricing just seems like pure gouging and once this car gets up to $40k, there are a lot of other options that come into play.

There appears to be many areas to like about this car but the audio/nav area isn't one of mine at this point. Hopefully someone will have an aftermarket option that will integrate nicely with the dash.
Appreciate 0