01-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
1M autocross possibilities

The 135 is fun, i love it, but it doesn't seem particularly competitive within its classing for Autocross on any of its levels...

Quick summary...

DS, though it seems it should find a way and maybe its missing the right campaign, it doesn't seem to do particularly well nationally.

STU - besides the fact that this is a spec EVO class, the car can't fully take advantage of the STU rules since 285s in the front just isn't going to happen comfortably, and would still be an underdog to the STEVOs.

BSP - if you could chop of the sunroof in BSP, maybe this would help bridge that STEVO gap, but basically it's the same deal as STU since they can boost up their power just as well.

SM - I'm not sure it's realistic to get this car anywhere close to the 2,400 pounds that the engine allows the car to get down to, and why would you do this particular project with a 40k base car...

1M classing? Stock would be interesting. They seem to place them with the thought that the E30 M3 should be in C stock and uprate each generation, but allowed the E36 to stay in C Stock. If it's the spiritual successor to the E30, then let it play in C Stock? It would look about right next to the 370Z, but it still probably wouldn't shake out that way. It'd probably end up in B Stock. And those that want it to stay in D Stock with the 135i, well that's a pipe dream.

But nothing would really stop it from playing in STU short of an exclusion. lower CG, lower weight (though we'll have to see how much came from the seats, maybe not at all which would swing this a bit more respectable), wider stance, should be able to go 285 in its sleep, more power, it really could be a great STU car. Maybe be the platform someone needs to take on the STEVOs with a RWD.

Now if only i had 47k, some get on the list bribery money, and the 10k of development money to get it started...
Appreciate 0