dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
128i BMP SSK is just a shift leaver + boot & knob
UUC 128i includes an adjustable shift lever(possibly same parts as e90 328i) and for 100+ more a DSSR( an improved selector rod, can be purchased separate )
Schmiedmann is just a rod: Part number SCMSHIFT ont heir website http://www.schmiedmann.com/SCMSHIFT/...uctnumber.aspx

This is weak compared to the 135i SSK kits which usually include a Shifting Arm. Therefore they can get as much as 3 pieces to replace ( Rod, DSSR, Shifting arm) in addition to cosmetic.

Alternatives include going the DIY cheaper method:

the Z4 shift rods & e60 Short shift rod/kit have been used by other BMW's and can be had for less than just the 128i BMP shift rod alone. Z4 i think is more aggressive in reduction while e60 is less.
And then buy the UUC DSSR & the ZHP e46 knob
WARNING: no one here has done this, so make sure you compare pictures 128i stock & BMP rods to the desired alternative. I think e82 has a kink near the ball and I don't know the significance it plays in leaver position & feel.
So are you saying that UUC does not have a complete SSK for the 128i? I did email them but they kinda pissed me off sending an automated resdponse that they no longer accept emails so that's why I'm asking here.

I really don't want to experiment with mix and match - I want to get a designed kit that replaces stock shifting mechanism which I feel, due to the sideloads of the forces applied and the sturdiness of the involved moving parts, is weak.

B&M has an SSK but I don't think it addresses the sideload force issue, and I don't know if it's available for the 128.

UUC makes no reference to the 128 in the '1-series' category but does mention the 335 in the 1 series category (?)

BMW's kit seems to shorten the throw but maybe uses the same flawed design?

Not adverse to waiting around till someone develops the right kit, but I suspect that since there don't seem to be many 128s around with MT there's little likelihood.