Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
I have to disagree with the negative review on the BMW BBK installed on a 128.. for added braking performance in street use and in weekend track use ( Time Trilas HPDE's )

first:
I have been running them for almost 2 seasons of track events (summit point, Lime Rock, NJMP, Watkins Glen, Pocono north, ) ( 12 or 13 full track days at approx 4 or 5 sessions per day at approx 50 laps per event ) ( countless auto-x's also)

Lime rock 1:06.7
The Glen 2:27.7 >> there was a full track R-comp/ rollcaged / lightned track ready 135 there also best time 2:13.2 for comparassion
summit point 1:32.0
NJMP 1:22.5
Pocono North 1:07.0

times not posted to pontificate, there for comparassion and to show that i do push the car hard.

I have visually inspected my pads and rotors after every event.
Rotors not cracked,and they are the slotted / cross drilled (actually they are worn .5mm from there minimum thickness with theses pads on them now)
Pistons and seals in PERFECT condition and original
Calipers not discolored / and i suffer no uneven pad wear
The car is my Daily driver.. I dont swa pads out

i started on Stock ( 135 ) BMW pads that came with the kit, They got me thru Lime rock and NJMP and pocono no issues at all.

I love the initial bite of the stock BMW pads for daily driving, absolutly great on the street.

I then swapped to cool carbons.. I did not like theses pads.. they dusted less but pulsated at high heat / threashold points. ( i did bed them in correctly and rebedded before each event )

Now I have Ferodo 2500's WONDERFUL track pad.. can be used on the street with no issues at all ( performance wise ) , a little noisy at times, and the red dust that comes off is more annoying then the black BMW dust )

With the combo of all the upgrades in my Signature, for a 128 on the cheap you cant get any better bang for the buck.

( if you intend to go FULL RACE .. No OEM supplied stuff will work correctly as they compromise to much, but if you are in it just for the weekend warrior Time trial or HPDE...then like i said.. it cant be beat )

Also remember the 135 is almost 300+ lbs heavier then a 128 ( optioned like mine, no sunroof no nav no power seats etc ) having 135 brakes on a 128 weighing 300lbs less is a win win win win, and that is why i say they work. In addition a 135 carries about 20+ MPH down the straight into any tracks turn 1 which is usually a heavy braking zone, here also the 128 gains by actually being a bit slower, and not having to rely on the brakes alone to slow for the turn and carry speed thru the corner.

also to note The BMW BBK is made by Brembo and the Calipers are Stamped Brembo, and the have a Brembo Part number.

I do agree that you must take care of your equiptment.. My f30 backing plate Mod ( many threads about it ) has worked.. but for a 135 not so much.

There is alot about driving style that leads to taking care of ones equiptment..

so in conclusion: I highly Recommend the BMW BBK on a 128 for spiited Canyon running / driving.. I also Recommend it for moderate to heavy weeked Time Trial / HPDE's IF you take percautions like i did.

If there are any questions , feel free to ask ..
Real world, track experienced driver here calling it like it is.
As good as the 128 is one of the places it can benefit is in the braking dept(if the car is to be tracked). The 135 Brembos are a couple steps up from the stock 128 binders.
Anyone who says the 128's are better than the 135's are seriously delusional.
First off excuse me if I'm reiterating any previously stated facts, I read up to page three and saw some flaws in the arguments and simply skipped to the end to comment. That being said, you claim that you don't want to believe anything because no numbers exist to back up the theories. That is a valid argument but experiences are there and the two that stand out in my mind are that the 1M is faster around a track than an E9X M3 and that the Z06 is in fact faster than a ZR1 around a track. I have to find the link for the 1M vs M3 and the later I have the magazine article at my house.

Just because the numbers don't exist does not mean that it isn't the case. If we only believed what was written in stone than we would still think that the earth is flat. I do believe that if we were to compare apples to apples (ie a bone stock 135 vs bone stock 128 with the same driver/conditions) the 128 would in fact be the quicker car around the track. I'm not saying it would be leaps and bounds quicker but it would edge it out.
Appreciate 0