Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Air curtain concept? That's the one thing you won't notice behind the wheel... What about the faster steering rack? Next generation M3 rear suspension? Extra power handling and cooling in the driveline? M-diff... These will make a substantive difference to how it drives. The air curtain will buy you a fraction of an MPG on the highway- nice, but more about pretty pictures for the marketing folks...
True, but as for the M3 rear suspension that's already available aftermarket via HP Autowerks. M diff is impressive, though an OS Giken is better (not for everyone though). A finned diff can easily be purchased from VAC Motorsports (though at the price some might be deterred). 1M is a damn good improvement over the 135i, but I still am not convinced it won't suffer a few of the same problems the 135i has after a few WOT laps around a circuit track. I will be in love when they release a 1M in a similar guise as the M3 GTS (and I am aware of the huge price difference with that car).
I understand the creation of this car, like this car, and will maybe one day buy this car. I am not hating on this car, and if I feel a bit disappointed in output don't get so offended. Some people on here get so "butt hurt" by comments on something that is not even out yet for the public. If you actually built this car, like optioned it so that in the end this was the end result, I could understand the offense. But you didn't do this, a corporation did this within the course of a year or two and I understand that this car is towards the end of its lifecycle. Why can't I be a little disappointed on the fact that the engine (which most people take a lot of pride in) is 90% the same as the one on an "iS".
Handling is a wonderful thing, but everyone who is harping on this wake up and smell the coffee. This car is a sports car and though you will take it to the track its going to have to help you commute there. For the twisty bits this car will be awesome, especially for tight autocross courses, but on tracks with long straights I'd like a little bit more grunt. If you don't like power go and buy yourself a Mini JCW. That way you can have all the handling you want and not so much power. Not trying to be an ass, but most of the comments directed to other users are very much in the same manner. I'm a 1Addict, I love BMWs, I love the 1 series, I love M cars, but this particular M doesn't get my blood pumping in the same way an E30-E92 M3 would. For those who forgot this is a forum and opinion is going to be given, don't get so mad when someone speaks their mind.