View Single Post
      04-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #96
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
BMW has always wanted their sales. Until that earthquake they were spanking everyone. Wanna sell more cars? Make them more Lexus like. The funny thing is that Lexus is trying to make their cars more like BMWs. Face it, even the 2 series won't save us. Worse, there is really nothing else to move to. Audi is probably the best for the money, but they still don't drive like the older raw BMWs. My 2 cents.
You have to think Toyota and Subaru are fairly chuffed with the buzz surrounding the FR-S and BRZ. Imagine if they upsized it slightly, gave it a little more power (lets say 225HP, 170 lb/ft torque with a revised NA engine) adorned it with a better interior to compete in the $35-40K range, but kept the weight down to 3,100 lbs. and retained all the important elements (RWD, low center of gravity, slick controls, etc.) If you forget about brand and image, that sounds an awful lot like a BMW circa 15 years ago. If it didn't look too boy racer, I'd certainly be interested. Maybe it could be the new Celica or that slick Subaru coupe shown at the NY Auto Show.
Appreciate 0