Thread: Baby seat...
View Single Post
      02-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Careful looking for ISOFIX baby seat. I've done my research on the subject.

Australia actually leads the way in many areas of car safety ... seatbelt legislation and child restraints are perfect examples of this. Generally speaking, safety experts regard the Australian baby/child restraint system as world class. It is better than ISOFIX which relies on the two seat-base couplings, sometimes in combination with the seatbelt. Having a top-mount, as in the Australian restraint system, is regarded as being a much more effective approach. So if you buy an ISOFIX seat (I'll accept Duncan's advice that you CAN get them here - I haven't looked), then make sure it has an Australian Standards compliance sticker and includes a top-mounting strap.

BTW, this is why you should ignore the child restraint ratings in EuroNCAP ... because the Euro restraint system is different to ours in Australia. ANCAP do not test for child restraints because the restraints are covered by Australian Standards requirements.

Here's another tip ... you can usually HIRE baby capsules from your local maternity hospital. That's what we did for the first six months or so, until junior was too big for the capsule.