View Single Post
      02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I should have added when I started the thread that my 135i has stick. Im also thinking that to compare one driver's 'city driving' with another's is kind futile.. Not all city driving is created equal! Anybody know if there is a difference in the epa ratings of Stick vs Dual Clutch 135is?

Im not sure how I should interpret the fact that you routinely get 17.4mpg doing 'city driving' in winter and I get a measly 14-15. Could be nothing more than I go up more hills or hills of steeper descent. Or it could mean that at 1400 miles, it hasnt loosened up sufficiently yet. Maybe my stoplights are closer together. Maybe I have more traffic, etc, etc.. All this kind of emphasizes how fruitless it is comparing mpg ratings.. Matter of fact, kind of points up the fallacy in epa ratings period as it relates to any specific case.

BTW.. Im curious. What characteristic does 'winter brew' possess that renders a lower mpg reading?
If it will help you a little more, let me explain.
A few thing about your situation:
1st new car with only 1400miles. Engine is still tight not fully broken it(as mpg's goes)
2nd. Add cold weather, an engine consumes more fuel in order to heat up.(it takes energy to heat up an engine).
3nd factor in your city/style of driving
4th Winter re-formulation of gas (thank the EPA for this crap) this is good for -2mpg in any car.
5th factor in you are running the heater, witch you are running the A/C compresor( you understand how that goes)
The outcome is= Your MPG's go in to the toilet. in Winter months

In my case: I do all suburbs driving. My commute to work is back roads that the posted speed limit is 25mph.
I go 3-4 stop sighs then a traffic light....repeat, etc.
Factor in how the gearing is in the 135i and most of the time, Im in 2 gear(i'll rather have it rev a little more, then "lug it" around town. I hardly get in to 3rd gear...then i hit the stop sigh or traffic light.....etc.
Factor in the cold engine, winter fuel, heat/AC comp on = and rolling with 17.4mpg. My one way commute is 9.8 miles.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0