mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW 1M View Post
This is a high performance car. It is not optimized to drive 70MPH in 6th gear. If you don't like the sound in 6th gear, downshift to 5th or even 4th...... If you want to cruise in silence at 70, this is not the car for you.....
Come on now, that is just ridiculous! That is EXACTLY what 6th gear is for! It's not like you will be using 6th on the track. Many 'high performance' cars as you put it, don't have drone. Exhausts can be tuned in order to avoid drone in that cruising sweet spot and still maintain high flow and an aggressive sound. This is why Eisenmann spends months on RD to get the right sound without the dreaded drone before they release it to the public for sale, while other companies just spit something out in order to sell it first.

The M3 even has drone, but you have to really look for it(below 2.2k RPM if you short shift and light load) and is easily avoided in 6th gear. When I was shopping for an after market exhaust for my E90M3, I wanted it to be louder than the OE exhaust but no drone was a must! For now, I will reserve judgement until I get my car, but I feel like there will be after market options that will eliminate this so I am not too worried about it.