Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
+1 agreed, e85 allows for more aggressive boost and timing, which in turn will accelerate the wear on certain parts of the car, if you are not prepared to take care of something down the line if it fails, you should stay away from e85 as it hasn't been determined if it does have a negative effect of certain parts of the engine or fuel system.
I am tempted to follow your route. What should I be aware of? And what route would you suggest to run full e85?
Some things you'd want to be aware with are that the injectors can actually start to clog up a little after multiple tanks of high concentrations of e85. You'll notice some hesitations here and there in the power band. When that happens with me, usually I will run the tank empty then fill the next two or so tanks with 91 from chevron. I have a feeling the techron gets in there and clears up the injectors.

Always reset adaptations after going from e85 back to a lower concentration of ethanol or straight 91. You do not want to run your engine too aggressively since it had been adapted to the previous amount of ethanol.

You want to run the 1 step colder NGK 5992 spark plugs gapped to around .022". You have a way higher chance of misfiring on the stock plugs, these will help with that. You also want to change plugs when running straight e85 every 8-12k miles depending on how long they last. You will go through them faster if constantly running straight e85.

It is important to be up to date on your oil changes, every 5 or 6k I change mine with straight e85.

As far as what set up I would recommend going with, I have to always give props to Vishnu and fftec. For the 10 or so months I've been running their inline fuel pump and flexfuel sensor, I have had hardly any issues, and the issues I did have were resolved with the latest firmware. I'm running a procede rev 2.5, OpenFlash Tablet, catless dps, dual cone intakes, and soon ER charge pipe with forge dv's. you will need an upgraded clutch to hold the torque and power, I recommend the spec stage 2+ with steel single mass fly wheel. The tune I am running dyno'd on another car with my same exact mods at 469whp and 530wtq, and this thing is scary on the street. Third gear cold nights on 255 280 tread wear and I am spinning at 3k rpm. All in all though, E85 is too much fun!

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0