View Single Post
      07-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
fs454
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT

Driving my new '09 135 up the coast from FL to MA tomorrow. Never driven one. Tips?

All the pondering, searching, slaving, waiting, and buying has been done and I finally own a 135i! CPO'ed, Alpine White, Coral Red, M-Sport and Premium packages,6-speed manual, 25,000 on the clock. Still hasn't hit me yet.

I'm flying out of Boston at 7:30AM tomorrow and landing in Tampa at noon to pick it up from the awesome guys at Bert Smith BMW where I will sit in a 1-series for the first time, which also happens to be the first manual car I've owned. Got a lot riding on this thing to make such a huge purchase without even seeing one in person let alone driving one, but hey that's the fun of it since they're so uncommon around here. I've driven stick before, just not for more than ten minutes at a time...so that will be interesting. hah.

Anyways, anyone have tips or anything for the 1300 mile road trip in the 1er? I have a driving buddy and plan on doing this in a fairly quick two days, give or take a few hours, with a stop to sleep somewhere along the way. If anyone's done a drive like this up the coast, any specific cities to avoid? I plan on going as far around NYC as possible as my last trek down that way for Waterfest last year was horrible.

I've got a Valentine 1, GPS, and LTE-enabled iPad but I feel like I'm going into this somewhat unprepared because I have so much tech with me, hah.

Thanks in advance and it already feels awesome owning a 1.