06-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #44
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmane View Post
Ok as if just the appearance wasn't a hard enough decision.. Just how much did you guys suffer in going up 1" in wheel size? Did you notice a decrease in HP, Accel., Gas milage? Does your car feel slower as a result?

If I increase the diameter an inch but the weight stays the same will there be significant loss of straight line performance, hp, acceleration? The factory 264m wheels weigh in at about 100lbs (all 4), if i do 19inch 713's 8.5 width all the way around i'm roughly looking at the same weight as the stock 18's but its an inch taller and i know that should affect all the above mentioned factors.. can anyone confirm this?
For street driving I'm of the opinion that there is very little difference in performance between 18" or 19" wheels on the 1, especially if you ditch the runflats. I went from the stock 18" M Sport wheels with runflats to 19" Alufelgen SF-71s with non runflat tires (which are also larger than the OEM tires). The SF-71s are a half inch wider front and back than the OEM wheels too. Even though my wheels and tires are 19" the ride is better than with the stock 18" wheels and tires and the handling is better too.

Although I didn't weigh each one, I suspect there is not much weight difference either between the stock M Sport 18" wheels with runflats tires and my 19" SF-71s with non runflat tires.