View Single Post
      07-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Mystery sound Identified!!

So I've been having a mystery sound in my car for about 6 months. It sounds kinda like an irregular scraping/ metallic wooshing sound, but it is very hard to describe. It is independent of speed or RPM (does not change frequency or amplitude with speed or RPM).
I can only hear it with the windows closed, fan low or off, stereo off, and at lower speeds because road/wind noise and exhaust sounds mask it (it is very soft). It does not manifest itself in any way that is problematic - I just know it shouldn't be there.

So it has been vexing me for a while. I mentioned it at my last servicing but they were unable to duplicate or recognize it. It seems to be getting worse, so I took the car in this AM and drove the service manager around to try to get him to hear and ID the sound. He was eventually able to hear it. We tried trouble-shooting, including shutting the engine off at about 30 MPH. The sound STILL occurred, so it is not in the engine.

The dealership called a few minutes ago and they said it was the transmission (I have a 6MT)and they were going to replace the transmission under CPO warranty!! I asked for specifics, but he was unable to give any until they get the xmsn apart, but suggested it might be a bearing or something.

Anyway, thank the gods for CPO warranty. Anybody know what it would cost to replace the xmsn if I weren't under CPO? Does this problem sound familiar to anybody, or has anybody experienced it before?
Appreciate 1