Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Winter tires vs. winter-focused all-season tires

Hello team,

I've been overseas for a couple of months, and in the meantime, my dad was driving my 135i around a bit. At some point, he got a flat tire in the rear - I had Blizzaks on it at the time. He took it to a tire store, where the guy managed to sell him a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS, saying that even though it's an "all-season" tire, the tread pattern is good for snow too.

Also, he ended up with 225mm tires, even though I had 8.5" rims and it previously had 245mm tires.

I'm particularly annoyed because I'm not sure where I'll be next year (currently job hunting), but I'll most likely be in either Iowa, Minnesota, or Massachusetts. So it'll be somewhere cold and I'll need good winter tires.

So, I want to know how bad this will be. Are these tires acceptable for winter in a really cold place? And why the hell would they have used 225s instead of 245s? Is there a chance that I can get a refund because of the incorrect sizing?
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0