02-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #39
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Oh, absolutely. You choose the second number for the oil temps you will be seeing. But there is no such thing as too thin at startup.
Actually there is, and again this depends on where you live. Running a 0 weight in a 40c summer morning vs a 10c morning makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When I bought my car(135i N54), new back in 2010 here in Germany(thru military car sales)... I used Mobil 1 0w40 European Blend - since it was LL1 approved back then(but not today, it doesn't have a LL approval)... Anyways... I kept reading about people here on 1Addicts preferring the German made Castrol. SO... I decided to try it on my third oil change. Now granted I had changed my oil & filter at: 500 miles, 1K miles and then again at 3K miles.

When I switched to German made Castrol RS Edge 0w40, a LL4 rated oil(which is backwards compatible to LL1) I was shocked at how much quieter my engine sounded on cold start - in the winter time. This was in January/February 2010. There was far less metallic tapping from the engine's lifters and the oil temps were almost two needle widths cooler - driving the same way on the Autobahn here. I was sold.

Since then Castrol stopped making that oil... so today I run Castrol FST Edge 0w40 oil(LL1 rated). And I always change my oil twice a year or at ~5K miles - which ever comes first. I generally change my oil in the Spring(when I take my car out of winter storage) and again in late summer(a few months before going into winter storage.

The cost of oil can be quite high over here in DE... but you can find a 5L jug for 44 euros. Mobil 1 on post sells for about $8 per quart... so its a wash in price. I do feel better running Castrol in my car. Asking which oil is best is like asking which religion is best. There is no answer... just a ton of "opinions". The above is my opinion on what oil to run.

Dackel
And this is the problem, most of us see oil as a religion and non of us will agree which is best (obviously).
Appreciate 0