Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Forget the 330d, bring over the 335d!
And the appeal is not the hundreds you save in fuel costs, but the image that you are someone sensible that is concerned with the global oil situation (but value the thrill of a 335d over the even more sensible 320d...).
Not sure where you are from but where I'm at diesel costs more per gallon (today 10-30 cents). Plus its harder to find with fewer station carrying the fuel in my area. A diesel engine may use less fuel but if you have to drive all over to buy at a higher cost it may be less affordable.

I agree with saving the environment – kudos to you on being forward thinking. I could be wrong but the current high sulfur US grade diesel is worse for the environment than unleaded gasoline.

It's my guess the reason the US doesn't have a diesel BMW is peoples perception and the low quality of US diesel fuel. People associate diesel with big trucks and slow cars spewing plumes of black smoke. Once US diesel fuel is made cleaner the auto industry will need to change the perception of the US consumer about using diesel in cars. Then sales of diesel cars will increase and the auto makers will focus more on diesel car engines for the US.
Appreciate 0