10-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #53
mattldm
M40i Soon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Just for the record, installing a turbo kit is guaranteed to have BMW North America completely void your warranty. Like, you won't be able to have the rear view mirror fixed if it's crooked. This has happened to at least one vehicle here in Portland and I know it happened to multiple E36s when Active Autowerks was just starting out.

You might be able to argue that Moss/Magnussen (sp?) would preclude full warranty exclusion, but BMW NA is perfectly within their rights to void the entire powertrain warranty.
You are right about the Moss/Magnussen, but they can only void the warranty for the parts of the car directly connected to, or affected by the modification.

If you turbo. - they can potentially, and legally, void the entire powertrain warranty. Another gray area would be the Brakes because they can argue that the turbo caused excess speed, which put undue stress on the brakes, but this could go either way.

They cannot legally deny you warranty on any other part of the car. i.e. rear view mirror, door seals, rattles, stereo problems, etc.

The moral of the story is, just be careful!
Appreciate 0