02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
So we all know that to run Cobb stage 2, it is a requirement to have an upgraded intake. And I have also been informed that a drop-in filter will suffice as an "upgraded intake".

The thing is, there are numerous threads not just debating the performance increase of an aftermarket intake (DCI, CAI) to stock box, but also drop-in filters to the OEM paper filter. These threads (with testing) show negligible gains in performance.

So the question is, if there is not much performance gain with an aftermarket/upgraded intake, why does Cobb state it to be a requirement to 'upgrade' the OEM intake whilst using stage 2?

I know I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but I just can't see it. Thanks for schooling me.
First off, stage 2 does not require an upgraded intake. It's suggested, but not required. It is required when you jump to 2+ though.

Once you go to 2+, you are really pushing more boost, which requires more air through the intake. Now whether or not you really need to upgrade the intake, I don't know. I'm not an engineer. However, Cobb has had a lot more time testing and tuning their AP than myself, so I'm inclined to take their suggestions and recommendations pretty heavily. They've got a great product. Why compromise it?

With all that said, it's your car. If through reading information on the interwebz, you feel comfortable that you will get zero performance gain and run little risk doing damage to your car by not following Cobb's recommendation, then I wish you luck my friend. We would definitely be interested in the outcome.