Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBMW1 View Post
Did my first oil change at 2500 miles. I'm glad I did it, the oil was fairly dirty with some sludge in the filter. The engine is smoother now, especially when starting off. I was going to wait until 3K, glad I did it at at 2.5. Can't believe that BMW would wait until 10K to do an oil change. I'll probably go 5K in between changes. Those with new BMW's don't wait until 10k!
If you are finding sludge in your motor after 2500 miles you have some serious problems. This should never happen, so excuse me if I don't really believe the whole story.

10K miles is a perfectly acceptable amount of time to wait for an oil change in these cars. They run a full synthetic and have 7 quarts of storage capacity. You could probably get away with 15k+ no problem for the life of the vehicle... I know this is gonna spark a huge oil debate but people keep throwing away money on 3000 and 5000 mile oil changes that are just plain necessary! If you're worried about sludge, change the filter every 5k, but dont throw away perfectly good oil after such a short time. Yes you want to change the oil frequently over the first 10k, but after that you're just throwing your money away.
Appreciate 0