View Single Post
      03-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
What would be the better question is, "What the heck would nitrogen do to the gas to make it better?"

We know nitrogen is large particles. We know it doesn't get hot like air does. We know that if you store liquids in nitrogen, they don't break down as much, like with carbonated beverages.
Gases have some solubility in liquids, but it isnt huge.

If I told you that I put amines in your gasoline, would it mean anything? Probably not, and it may be considered a bad thing. If I told you that I put nitrogen in, I'd imagine it would make more sense as an element we can relate to (it is 78% of the air we breathe).

Amines, or polyether amine in particular is a very good fuel additive for keeping injectors and the combustion chamber clean. Amines are derivatives of ammonia, and they are comprised of (hydrocarbon) functional groups that contain a basic nitrogen atom with a lone pair. Shell can't tell you this because the marketing people have never taken a serious chemistry, math or engineering course in their life and don't understand it... So they have to take it down to a low level...

No guarantees, but I'd imagine that this is what they are inferring... given PEA being such a good cleaner. PEA is used in products such as Chevron Techron, and is one of the few adds that tend to show no extra bearing wear when used. Sometimes fuel adds show bearing wear because of the solvents and base fluids they are contained in. Using PEA natively in fuel is a good concept... though IF it is the case, is really no different than chevron with techron, for the most part.

Just my 2c.
Appreciate 0