View Single Post
      09-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Reason of Limited Production Conjecture

Here is my personal conjecture, based on some 'official released' info. So if you disagree with it, please do not flame me.

Fact 1: SCOTT said the current 1M is a time and budget limited project. So limited that they even can not develop the DCT and trick the N55.

Fact 2: SCOTT mentioned that the 1M is designed to use some already exist parts on the shelf.

Fact 3: parts sources - current 1 series, M3, N54 engine

My conjecture: BMW do not want to 'invest' on 1M. Here invest = make new dedicated parts in bulk quantity. We know that the current M3 is close to its lifecycle ending, and also the 335is. Therefore for the 3 series section, parts procurement plan is already set and done. BMW already has an idea how many parts are left in stock. I think the number of 2700 unit reflects how many parts BMW still left after producing all the current generation of 128, 135 and 3 series.

Especially since engine is the most mystery part, I guess the 1M will use the 335is engine. This means after producing all 335is, BMW still has around 2700 unit of the modified N54 engines.

Anyway, it is clever to promote a rushed done project using the 'limited production' trick.
Appreciate 0