12-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #26
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebee View Post
Well, I bought the Goodyear Eagle UG-GW3 RSC wheel and tire package that BMW sells up here in Canada, and I can say that with these tires I'm experiencing the same issues that you are (my car is a 2011 135i), hitting WOT at 60 mph (100 kph) has broken grip on these tires in above-freezing temperatures; not a good sign.

It's also extremely easy to break the back-end free during cornering and as I found out recently, these will lock-up at low speed with hard breaking on dry pavement (above freezing again).

I'm actually pretty pissed that BMW sells such a limited selection of winter tires and the one that they sell for my car removes all of the active safety features the BMW 135i offers (great breaking, acceleration and agility).

I just bought a set of these tires used , the same package you are talking about... these are absolutely useless in snow and downright dangerous in actual winter conditions. My Gf got a set of oem all seasons with her recent VW purchase and they perform much better in the cold snow and ice than these "RFT performance snows".

I have a feeling in this case the issue is that the run flat compound is harder than the non RFT compound. I suppose that isn't helping things. The non RFT version of the ultra grip gw3 seems to get good reviews.

I agree I'm astonished that bmw sells such a poor winter tire as their "winter package". Very gentle acceleration in snow conditions in a straight line and and im drifting side to side close to cars in the lane next to me.

I think there is a tradeoff though, in dry pavement these tires corner well have good rolling resistance, are quiet and generally have the good attributes of a summer tire performance wise.

Personally I don't think winter is the time for high speed performance driving. I would much rather have the softer mushier continental extremewinter contact tires (I had these on my golf) for crappy winter weather. Sure they have more road noise, don't have as high a speed rating. On snow and ice though they performed great and I was able to zip around in horrible conditions like nothing else.
Appreciate 0