12-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #19
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
ethermal - as Fireflyer239 alludes to, axleback sections are mostly about sound character. They can be good contributors to overall performance if the entire exhaust system is swapped for a performance setup but by themselves I would never market/sell an axleback to someone with the promise of butt dyno gains. A performance axleback can and should give gains but most folks(me included) would not consider a 5-6hp gain worth the price point. To your other note about sound we already have a great track record with our axleback for the 135i and I'll be honest that car was miserable to tune the sound for. We made 3 different prototype axleback sections with the sound dialed in different before we went to production with that piece. The twin turbo setup does not produce as desirable an exhaust note as the NA motor and the tt has drone from the factory in my opinion. I look forward to this project as I don't think it will be anywhere near as difficult to dial in the sound appropriately. We call our exhaust series the "Whisper" series for a reason. It's not about loud db levels, its about "sound character".

R.
If you get good quality sound clips both inside and outside I would like to hear. I am looking for a good quality sound as stated above.
Appreciate 0