View Single Post
      04-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR6 View Post
128i with stock engine ECU cannot be called "a competition car"... and if you want to do it, there is nothing to keep secret because you are not going to get more than 280 hp at the flywheel with full exhaust+tune....

I have Evolve tune (and stock headers) and got no absurde throttle pedal mapping and no throttle hang on lift (I have it but only with clutch pedal pressed). My dyno test output was 260 hp at the flywheel. On the same bench a stock 130i has about 252 hp. So.... nothing special and nothing for competition use... but in any case a good result
Is that so? A 128 won the 2015 STX ProSolo Finale / Overall championship last year. Both my car and that car are competition-only vehicles. We're restricted by ruleset to stock ECU....

Why is flywheel output relevant? FWIW, I'm significantly above 252 flywheel, but less than 280. FWIW, I think 280 flywheel is perfectly reasonable for a full-tilt build on the stock ECU, without ruleset. I'd estimate based on my numbers, and those I've seen, that a 3-Stage manifold, 3-in exhaust, tune, intake, and custom header (the off-the-shelf options are not very well optimized) would get there. Reducing flywheel / clutch mass (that's illegal for my ruleset, along with the 3-stage manifold on an N52) would also make a substantial difference in drivetrain loss.

I'm hardly being condescending (I think that's the word Axiom meant to use, although an assumption that I haven't spent any time on the dyno, or testing parts combinations is pretty condescending). Given that the folks competing at the top level of the sport spend tens of thousands of dollars a year to do so, I don't have a lot of interest in quantifying or nullifying any advantages I've got above the competition to satisfy forum junkies. Little to gain, a lot to lose.

I had an AA tune on the car. I switched from Active to Epic (and spent the money to do so). The difference is night and day, and repeatable. My Active tune was "the best they could do for me", and the Epic tune is still being farther optimized, a few hours on the dyno will improve it more.
Appreciate 0