11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #59
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Craig - the best advice I can give is ATGATT (ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME). Buy the best gear you can afford. If you can afford a $400 helmet that's fine. But if you can afford a $600 helmet and you buy a $400 helmet, I think that's the wrong attitude considering the risks involved with riding. At the end of the day, it's protecting your head. Same goes for leathers. Most of the high end leather jackets comes with built in shoulder and elbow protection which is CE rated. Most come with built in back protectors but they are not always CE rated, so you can buy replacement back protectors which will protect your back. I recommend helmet, jacket, back protector, gloves, pants and boots. Buy gear that fits you will and gear that you like, I think I did more research on the gear than the bike itself! If you don't like it, you won't wear it. It's not IF you fall off but a case of WHEN you fall off, best to be as prepared as possible.
There's a saying that's been around longer than I can remember - and that's a VERY long time - "You dress for the crash, not for the ride". That pretty much says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Unfortunately, the sad thing about riding is you could be the most experienced and competent rider but any cager can take you out at any time which is why ATGATT. Having the right gear will minimise injury.
You also need to be very aware of other bikes - especially around popular "weekend worrier" spots.

Recently, I was coming home along the "Old Pacific Highway", just north of Cowan, minding my own business. There were plenty of other bikes out, so I had my "game-face" on. I was heading south - came to a right-hand sweeper - great piece of road, great surface, good camber, good visibility etc, etc - I was on the outside radius of the curve - I'd just tipped it in to my right, and I see this idiot going the other way, knee down, hanging off the seat - waaayyy too quick for the circumstances - I backed off a bit (not good having already committed to a line and angle) - and then, here he comes - spearing straight across my side of the road, and into the weeds on my left. - we missed by about 10ft, and that had nothing to do with his or my abaility - pure luck we didn't hit. All I had time to do was react and tip in harder, so I went inside him - which caused me onto the wrong side of the road - luckily nothing else was coming.

How'd it happen, All I can think is he over-rated his ability, so went in too fast. Something caused him to straighted up, so he went straight ahead, and onto my side of the road.

At the speed we were both doing, it wouldn't have been pretty if we'd come together.

Moral of the story - expect the unexpected. If you do that, you'll, give yourself a margin for safety that may make a difference, and as a result, you'll continue to have fun.
Appreciate 0