View Single Post
      12-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
chad29
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
So using your model I change my oil and use Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and a Fram oil filter. 2,000 miles later my engine spins a bearing or even blows the engine. BMW would void my warranty for using Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and a Fram oil filter? I don’t think so! They would have to prove those parts caused the failure. Let’s say BMW does say the Fram filter caused the failure. I would bet Fram would support you in the charges. However you install a tuner and the engine blows I bet the company that made the tuner is not going to support you?
It is the law through the Magunson-moss act that I have the right to put other company’s parts in my car and it is very easy for the car manufacture to say the part caused the failure when in fact it may not be the reason for the failure. To me this is where it gets difficult and I do not want to spend the money or time to fight them over the mods that may or may not contributed to a failure so we do what we have to.
Actually yes your warranty would be voided for several reasons.

1. Your BMW warranty requires you to use a BMW LL-01 approved oil of the proper viscosity. The only Mobil 1 oil sold in the U.S. that is BMW LL-01 approved is 0w-40. So if you use any other Mobil 1 oil then your engine warranty is gone.

2. As far as the filter is concerned, if it is an OE spec replacement part and it caused the engine bearing failure, then yes BMW would need to prove under the Magnuson-Moss Act that the oil filter caused the failure.

The Magnuson-Moss Act however does not apply to modifications, it only applies to OE spec replacement service parts. If you change the DPs and go CATLESS this is a mod and voids your engine warranty and EPA emission laws for which you can be fined $2500 for each instance of emissions tampering. People often fail to understand the difference between service parts and mods, which can cost them their warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0